If you have one or more missing teeth, then dental implants are the best restorative dentistry treatment to replace them. Dental implants are strong and stable, and they look, fit, feel and function exactly like natural teeth. The best candidate for dental implants is anyone who has lots one or multiple teeth due to decay, disease, injury or defects.
Excellence in Implant Dentistry
How is the implant placement performed?
The implant is a titanium screw that is inserted into the jawbone to replace the missing root, and it is not visible after it has been surgically placed. Titanium is a durable, lightweight and biocompatible material, that is why it will not be rejected by your body. It will take three to six months for the implant site to heal, that is the patient will need to make two visits to the dentist until a dental implant is completed.
After this period, the dentist will complete the procedure by placing the abutment, which is the connector between the implant and the dental crown (the replacement tooth). The crown is custom made so that it fits into the space and matches with the other teeth. Dental crowns can be made of porcelain, ceramic, porcelain fused to a metal structure, copper, gold or other metals that are strong and long lasting.
Types of implant restoration
- Single tooth replacement - used to replace a single missing tooth
- Multiple tooth replacement - used to replace multiple missing teeth. Several implants are needed to create a fixed supporting bridgework (all-on-4, all-on-6, all-on-8 dental implants). In order to restore a full arch the patient will need between 4 and 8 implants.
- Over-dentures - used when two or more implants are used to offer stabilization of the denture and preserve the healthy underlying bone. The traditional full dentures are placed directly on the gums causing bone loss by resorption, while implant based over-dentures protect the bone.
- Temporary bridgework - micro-mini implants are used to create the space for the permanent implants. They are used as temporary teeth replacement so that the patient will not feel socially uncomfortable until the permanent implants are done.
Benefits of dental implants
- They look and function exactly like natural teeth, without interfering with speaking, eating or smiling.
- They are a long-term solution and can last more than 10 years or even a lifetime with periodic adjustments.
- You will not worry that they might loosen of fall out as removable dentures do.
- You can retain your natural smile and face shape.
- Dental implants protect and stimulate the healthy bone. Tooth loss leads it time to more health issues such as the deterioration and loss of part of the jawbone.
- You can eat any foods without worrying that your teeth fall out.
- Cavities cannot occur on dental implants, so you'll have one worry to cut from your list.
- By opting for dental implants, you protect the healthy teeth. For a tooth-supported bridge, the dentist would grind away the teeth on both sides of the missing tooth. The dental implant is placed directly into the jawbone so no need to ruin the healthy adjacent teeth.
If you want to find out more if you are a candidate for dental implants, do not hesitate to contact Cardinal Dental today!